In 1968, the Village of Glen Ellyn purchased an old building located on Geneva Road, just west of Main Street. This much-modified building originally was a stagecoach inn built by Moses and Joann Stacy in 1846, just 12 years after the first settlers arrived here.
At the urging of Village officials, The Glen Ellyn Historical Society was formed in 1969 by a group of volunteers to assist the Village in restoring the building to its original condition and to furnish it with period-appropriate furniture, stoves, cooking and eating utensils and tools. That task took seven years, but the result was an award-winning museum which stands today as the only fully restored stagecoach inn in Illinois resting on its original foundation.
The Glen Ellyn Historical Society continues to operate Stacy’s Tavern Museum for the Village, providing regular tours guided by knowledgeable docents. But the Society’s role in the community has grown considerably since 1969. Today it operates the Glen Ellyn Center for Historical Research, the Glen Ellyn History Center and History Park, and Stacy’s Corners Store, all located at Historic Stacy’s Corners, near the intersection of Main Street and Geneva Road. In addition, the Society provides a wide range of educational offerings both at the Glen Ellyn History Center and throughout the community.